Millets are the wonder grains and low fat baking is the flavor of the season, so bake these millet muesli muffins and enjoy baking as well as eating them!
Millets are the super food grains used in Indian households ever since.. and are being rediscovered because of their miraculous nutritional properties.
Muesli for breakfast is a healthy option. It is popular with the millennials as it is nutritious, no fuss and quick breakfast with dry fruits/ fresh fruits, milk and curd. It would make the nutrition apps smile at them as this takes care of their carbs, proteins, vitamins and fat to kick start their long day- and it would make all moms happy too!
The millet muesli muffins can be baked for breakfast or ‘tiffin’ and have all the goodness of a wholesome nutritious breakfast dish. They are low on fat and sugar but high on good carbs, fibre, vitamins, iron and protein So bake these muffins and as they say “Enjoy your healthy breakfast like a queen/king”.
10 muffins with 50 grams oil or butter and 2 tbsp of sugar
- Millet muesli – 1 cups
- Wheat flour – 100 grams (about 3/4th cup)
- Maida – 50 grams (about 1/3 cup)
- Superfine/ caster sugar/ palm jaggery – 2 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Curd – 1 cup
- Oil or melted butter – 50 grams(1/4 th cup)
- 1 egg or 1 mashed ripe banana
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Mix the flours, sugar and baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl.
In a bowl whisk together the wet ingredients ie. curd, butter or oil and the beaten egg (or mashed banana). Now add the dry ingredients’ mixture to the wet mixture and stir till they mix well.
Now add the millet muesli and mix it well. Do not over mix.
Using a spoon, pit the mixture in muffin molds with paper cups or greased molds and fill only up to 3/4th as the muffins need space to ‘bloom’.
In a preheated oven (190°C), bake these muffins for about 20 minutes, till done. Then transfer to a wire rack and let them cool.
- Curd should be at room temperature.
- Can use milk – Use low fat milk.
- If you do not want egg, replace with a mashed ripe banana.
- If muesli has raisins and nuts, it is fine, else add finely chopped nuts and dry raisins.
- The dry and wet ingredients (Step 3) should be mixed only till they becomes moist and all ingredients get blended. Never over-mix.
‘Hey, try it out- It is simple, quick and healthy!’
Share your experience and let us know that you enjoyed baking and eating these delicious muffins! Happy ‘low fat baking’ !