“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet” is a popular adage from William Shakespeare‘s play Romeo and Juliet, where Juliet compares Romeo to a rose saying that if he were not named Romeo he would still be handsome and be Juliet’s love.
‘Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Butter Buns’ are as delicious whether they are called by this name or simply ‘Cheese & Garlic Butter Buns‘. In this blog, the ‘Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Butter Buns’, have been de-mystified for my fellow bakers. Our regular buns, the burger buns, or simply put- any buns can be given a makeover and lo and behold our ‘buns next door’ are transformed in a jiffy!
To make Buns (and healthy ones) check our Buns recipe. They can be slightly bigger than the regular buns, like jumbo burger buns. They have to be cut open in wedges (six), making sure that they are joint at the root/ base. Next we whip together Cream cheese and Cream (whipping or other) . Then fill this creamy mixture in the wedges — up to the brim i.e. generously. Finally, dunk then upside down as though diving in the garlic butter custard, then re-bake for 10 minutes, such that the cream cheese melts and sinks in the wedges making the buns swell and soften from inside and the garlic butter layer making the bun’s crust crisp and crusty. Lastly, sprinkle some fresh chopped herbs on the buns and enjoy the sweet- savory exotic taste.
- Buns: The standard recipe is of ‘Brioche Buns’, where the bun dough is a rich one with eggs or yogurt, milk powder, butter and only maida ( all purpose flour). As my focus is on developing recipes which are both ‘tasty and healthy’, I advise you to follow our recipe of Buns. This one has wheat flour also and is a healthier option in comparison to buns made with only ‘maida’ . As in Brioche buns, we also add milk powder, eggs/yogurt, lemon juice, and butter so this dough is also rich and these buns are great for these Cream Cheese & Garlic Butter Buns, with nice brown crust and soft crumb.
- Cream Cheese Mix : 200 gms cream cheese, 50 gms whipping cream ( or 50 gms thick cream and 4 tbsp honey)
Garlic Butter Custard Sauce
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 25 gms finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- Bake the buns and let then cool for about 10 minutes
- Cut them into six equal wedges but the base should be intact.
- Fill the wedges/ gap with cream cheese mixture ( generously)
- Dunk in the garlic butter mix and place on baking tray for ‘rebaking’.
- Sprinkle some mixed fry herbs/ fresh herbs and rebake for 8-10 minutes at 180 degree in a preheated oven.
- We can bake buns and keep so as to make these gorgeous buns whenever needed.
- Cream Cheese mix be kept in the fridge before using to fill in the wedges.
- Mix the garlic butter mixture well with a fork/whisker or you can cook milk and cornflour for 2 minutes then add butter and other ingredients..
- To make your own Cream Cheese simply blend and refrigerate 100 gms fresh homemade paneer & 100 gms hung curd.
- When I say ‘dunk’ the buns in garlic butter custard, it means ‘dunk’ ..
- Cream cheese can be filled in the wedges and may not ooze out, if you are not very fond of the same.
Hope everyone enjoys baking these buns! In the next post we will take a look at Hot Cross Buns!